Karachi’s legendary Mama Parsi Girls Secondary School celebrated its 100th birthday on Sunday, April 1, 2018
In 1918, Jamshed Nusserwanjee Metha collected donations to establish the school. Initially the school functioned at the Bai Virbaijee School from where it was shifted in 1919 to a building, Mama Mansion, which stands today at the corner of Haji Abdullah Haroon Road. The construction of the school’s current building started on January 17, 1920 and was completed on January 26, 1925.
Mama Parsi School is considered to be one of the most prestigious and historical schools of Karachi, which has maintained its high standard of education and discipline for a century. The school not only focuses on its curriculum but also offers several extra-curricular activities, including a talent show which is held every year after the mid-term examinations.
The school also retains a house system, which was introduced in 1943. Under this, students are grouped in different groups called houses in order to cultivate teamwork and leadership skills among them.
Over the years, the Mamaians have not just proven themselves in academics but have also performed brilliantly in various sports.
The school also takes students on tours outside Karachi and Pakistan in order to build their knowledge of the world. It has produced many extraordinary educated women who contributed to society in various fields