1 kg fatty mutton, clean wash and cut into medium sized pieces.
Grind into a smooth paste with water:
60 grms ginger
20 cloves garlic
1 tsp white cummin seed
6 small green chillies
8 big dried red chillies
1 1/2 tsp salt
Mix together and keep aside garam masala:
4 cinnamom sticks, 2″ long
13 black peppercorns
8 white cardamoms
8 black cardamoms
400 grms tomatoes, peel and finely chop
750 grms potatoes, cut with skin into medium size pieces
and boil until just tender. Deep fry until
golden brown in oil
400 grms onion, peel and finely chop
1. In a pan heat 8 tbsps oil.
2. Add in and fry until golden brown the onions.
3. Add the masala paste and fry for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add water, from time to time, to avoid sticking.
5. Add in the meat and fry until brown.
6. If the meat sticks to the pan, add a little of the tomato puree.
7. Add in the garam masala and fry for a minute and then the tomato puree.
8. Add into the pot 1 1/2 cups water.
9. Cover with lid and cook in the oven for 1 1/2 hrs or until meat is tender on 300 degrees.
10. Add potatoes 10 minutes before serving.
11. Serve hot with rotlies or crisp bread and Gor Amli nu Kuchumbar and Lime.
Recipe courtesy of Zarine S. Mavalvala