Over the weekend, Minister of Minority Affairs, Government of India, Mrs. Smriti Irani met with leaders of the community, Vada Dasturjis and other mobeds and heads of various Parsi Irani Anjumans of India. This meeting was convened in Mumbai and there was an extensive discussions with her and her ministerial colleagues present, on wide range of issues pertaining to the Zoroastrian community.
Some of the major announcements she made at the meetings are:
- Udvada Railway Station will have a escalator so that elderly Zoroastrians visiting the holy village don’t have to face trouble.
- Udvada Railway Station will be developed as a World Class Railway Station by the Government of India. Initiat allocation of Rs. 20 crore done.
- Immediate initial support of Rs. 1 crore for preservation of Avesta language
- Reinstatement Avesta-Pahlavi studies at M A level through Institute of Distance & Open Learning
- Proposed to work with the community to get the status of Centre of Excellence for the institute running Avesta-Pahlavi studies course and offered to take up the matter with UGC if community desires so.
- Proposals with regards to training of Mobeds will be supported by Government of India.
- Medical support will be extended to entire families of all the Mobeds.
- Any Zoroastrian engaged in farming activity will be extend raw material (seeds, fertiliser, etc.) and scientific support to enhance crop productivity through Krishi Vigyan Kendra.
- XYZ Foundation will be supported for various activities (conversations, seminars, conferences, etc) that help in promoting and preserving Zoroastrian culture.
- Traditional Skillsets akin to Zoroastrian culture identified by our community will be supported by the Government of India.
- A version of Khelo India was proposed to help engage the community in various sporting activities
- Proposal to create a federation of different women related Parsi organisations was put forth so that Zoroastrian community can take optimum benefits of various schemes and programs run by the Government of India for the welfare and safety of women.
Minister Mrs. Smriti Irani with Vada Dasturji Khurshed Dastoor, Hoshaang Gotla and the young kids of the XYZ Program.
Hoshaang Gotla speaking at the event.
Image Courtesy XYZ on Facebook.