The New Year is bound to be good for some Parsis as they could get their much-awaited homes.
The poor Parsi housing issue was entangled in court cases, with the result that all the allotments had been frozen for two years. The one-man committee appointed by the Bombay high court in August has completed its proceedings and has asked the board of trustees to act in accordance with it.
The report, which was completed on December 30, was prepared by justice H Suresh when the Bombay Parsi Punchayet (BPP) had moved court against 104 allottees who were asked to be given houses as per the charity commissioner’s order. They had protested as they alleged that the houses were being allotted out of turn and hence the court ordered a stay on the process.
“Our stand is vindicated as the report has backed our merit rating scheme. We will start allotting the houses soon. People will have to wait their turn though,” said Dinshaw Mehta, trustee of the BPP.
“We are happy that the stay has been lifted. Some people will be allotted houses at the earliest as per the letters given to them. For the rest we will have to look into specific reasons and deal with it accordingly” said Zarir Jehangirji, one of the respondents.